In a nutshell...

Words and Pictures is exactly that. Words in the form of a story and Pictures that either back up the story or form the basis of the story.
I love old surfboards, preferably single fins from the late 60's and early 70's, so many of the stories are based around these.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

It'll do

In about 98 or 99 I had a short stint where longboards were a major interest of mine. Up until that time I had just been riding old singles of various shapes and sizes from about 1970-1978 period.
As I have such a passion for old boards I was looking for an old longboard from the mid-60's, mainly around 64 or 65.
Somehow it filtered through my extended family and I discovered that my uncle, in the suburbs of Sydney, used to surf and still had his old board under the house. I didn't even know he had surfed! 
Anyway, i made a trip to Sydney to visit my Nan and to head around and see Uncle John, who had said I could have the board providing I didn't sell it or get rid of it apart from returning it to him.
When I arrived he was waiting out the front with the board. It wasn't at all what i was expecting. I had been thinking of a mid-60's longboard and what i found myself collecting that day was a classic late 60's Dale Pintail 7'10" transitional board complete with the original Safeset fin. Of course I didn't know all the details of this find right then, but having known of the green Gordon Woods (see first post) and that this was a similar period, I was stoked. To top it off, my brother Trent and I had been watching "The Innermost Limits of Pure Fun" a lot around that time. I couldn't wait to ride it.
The Dale quickly became a favourite of ours and I still talk to Uncle John about it whenever we see each other. It rides like a dream and is still to this day one of my all time favourites.

translucent red safe set fin


No comments:

Post a Comment