In a nutshell...

Words and Pictures is exactly that. Words in the form of a story and Pictures that either back up the story or form the basis of the story.
I love old surfboards, preferably single fins from the late 60's and early 70's, so many of the stories are based around these.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Like a new beginning...

When I was about 12 my brother (5 years older than I am) borrowed a surf movie from Video Ezy. It was called Morning of the Earth and we watched it over and over. The style that the surfers displayed fascinated us and we loved the look of their boards and the lines they drew.
Trent (my brother) attained a permanent copy of the movie and we often watched it. it was the old version that had not had all the scenes cut, like the naked family hanging on the beach with a green twin fin.
My brother had needed to borrow a board at some stage around this time and borrowed an old green Gordon Woods tracker and fell in love with it. He had to return it but always remembered it.
Sometime in about 92-93, Trent was away on a surf trip with our friend Frank when he spotted an old single fin surfboard for sale at a service station. It was a 7'6" Bob Brown with yellow bottom and rails and a white deck. He felt compelled to buy it and he did. That was the beginning of our love for riding old boards.
Trent rode the Bob Brown often and soon it was all he rode. I loved it although I couldn't get it away from him to ride it.
Trent was an electrician at the time and he returned home from work one day, when I was 14, with an old beaten up board that had Kennedy written on it. The Kennedy was about 7'2" and had a pintail with a single set of flyers and plenty of volume. Trent had been working at a work-site when he spotted this board laying in a dam. Apparently the guys had been throwing rocks at it for entertainment which led to multiple injuries in the bottom of the board. When Trent asked if he could buy it they laughed at him and told him he could have it. He brought it home and we started fixing it up. 
I'd like to say we made it look really nice but the truth is we just patched it up to get it back in the water.
I rode the Kennedy for a few years consistently after that, only stopping to ride another old single or other we picked up along the way.
This is really my introductory post to inform you of where things started. I've loved riding old boards ever since then and have picked up some interesting ones in the time that has passed. I am looking forward to sharing interesting stories relating to old boards - how we got them, where we took them, what has happened to them or with them, etc.
My hope is that someone finds this interesting.
luke

On an old Wakefield at Stocko

The Bob Brown on the right (photo taken early '96)

No comments:

Post a Comment