In a nutshell...

Words and Pictures is exactly that. Words in the form of a story and Pictures that either back up the story or form the basis of the story.
I love old surfboards, preferably single fins from the late 60's and early 70's, so many of the stories are based around these.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Old Friends

When I was in high school I skated a lot and had heaps of friends who shared these experiences. One good friend, Nick, was a really coordinated guy with great balance on a skateboard. I was really just a cruiser. I loved skating hills and going fast through turns and carves. Nick was really good with the flips and gaps and stairs and slides and stuff.
Anyway, Nick sometimes came along surfing with us and had a go but it was something he somehow couldn't get the hang of ( maybe he has recently, I'm not sure...).
I was always riding old single fins and he had one at home so he used to bring it along. The board was long and yellow with a tiny little blue fin. It had coloured paint dribbled all over the bottom of it. At the time I thought it was so narrow and didn't think much about it. I'm pretty sure his dad found it laying on the beach at Stockton years ago after it washed up. He then gave it to Nick.
So years went by and I stopped skating (still have a couple of old cruisers though) and never really saw much of the guys I spent time with in high school. 
One day I was invited to meet up with a group of guys at a cafe as an old friend was back to visit from overseas. Nick was there and we talked a lot. He reminded me of the old yellow board and told me I could have it if I wanted. I was stoked and met up with him the next week.
The board turned out to be a Peter Glasson 8ft gun with a tiny swallow tail and that tiny blue (non-original) fin which is timber and split.
I am really wrapped with the board and although I've had it a while now, it still needs the paint removed from the bottom and the fin replaced and a few dings repaired (the usual nose and tail stuff).
I am sure that it would be great to take on some big walls when the swell is up so I'll have to work on getting it ready for one of those sessions...





 

1 comment:

  1. Luke-is that your house in the pics? did you build a deck?

    ReplyDelete